The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) is internationally recognised as a centre of excellence for education, research and service provision in the field of tropical medicine.
The Unit of Epidemiology and Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases collaborates with the National Program for Sleeping Sickness control in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The collaboration focuses on operational research, including innovative active screening of sleeping sickness. We are looking for a data manager to support the digitalisation objectives.
The scope of the work is the development of an electronic decision support system for the sleeping sickness elimination initiative. This includes the data management process of a mass active screening campaign conducted by mobile teams, performed with a tablet based mobile application, as well as that in a passive screening context. The role of the data manager we are recruiting will be to analyse the data management needs of the project and to develop , implement and evaluate technological and organisational solutions in collaboration with the software development team.
- You hold a master degree in the field of ICT, life sciences, or related.
- You have at least 3 years of experience in data management or related.
- Experience in Sub-Saharan Africa is an asset.
- You have knowledge about and experience with databases (MS Acces, ODK, SQL, ..) and/or mobile applications.
- You are eager to learn and stay up to date with relevant software and applications which facilitate the data review process.
- You have excellent planning, problem-solving and workload prioritising skills, you have an eye for detail and are able to work independently.
- You have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- You speak and write French fluently. Good knowledge of English is a strong asset.
- You are willing to travel to DRC on a regular basis.
- You will improve the existing application & data flow and develop new data collection tools if required.
- You will supervise the deployment and maintance of the web and mobile applications of the project.
- You will manage the data transfer process between mobile devices and central server, reconciliate and validate data.
- You will carry out regular field missions to DRC to monitor data management-related activities, liaise with the local partner, and give training.
- You will organise training in digital applications for field workers and build capacity for essential data management activities.
- You will oversee the timelines and budget needs to achieve data management milestones in an output-driven project.
- You will collaborate with health workers, data managers, researchers, software developers at ITM and in DRC as part of a multi-disciplinary research team.
- You will support other scientists at the unit in developing digital data collection tools and assist them in data review of existing databases.
- You will report to the operational coordinator and to the head of unit.
- An intellectually stimulating, international and socially committed environment, with room for personal initiative.
- A full-time contract for a time-limited project position (3 years).
- A gross salary set according to the pay scales of the ITM and the Flemish universities.
- Reimbursement of public transport costs, bicycle compensation and luncheon vouchers.
- You will work at the ITM headquarter in the bustling city of Antwerp.