The Department of Veterinary Tropical Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa and the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp, Belgium, have joined forces for the organization of the 62nd ITM Colloquium Virtual Colloquium (2-3 December 2021). This second virtual edition will take place from 2-3 December 2021 and will cover emerging and re-emerging epidemics, with a special focus on neglected tropical and zoonotic diseases.
Experts from South Africa and around the world will discuss the current COVID-19 pandemic including other (re)-emerging infectious threats that have the potential to erupt into pandemics. Special attention will be given to transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches for the reduction of disease burden and the improvement and promotion of health. Innovative tools for a better understanding of pathogen detection, disease diagnosis and control at the human-animal-wildlife interfaces are key to address these diseases.
This event offers a platform for researchers, health professionals and policy makers to identify how key research findings can contribute to solutions and inform policy-making.
Within the general topic, the following five themes will be discussed:
- One health approaches to manage epidemics and pandemics
- Guidelines: Outbreak preparedness and response for scientists and policymakers
- Social, ecological and economic impacts of pandemics on health systems and livelihoods
- Drivers of the emergence and spread of infectious epidemics
- Recent trends for detection, prevention, and control mechanisms
Find out more.