The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) is internationally recognised as a center of excellence for education, research and service delivery in the field of tropical medicine and international health. The mission of the Department of Public Health of the Institute of Tropical Medicine in Antwerp is to conduct public health research of international standing, provide postgraduate education of high quality and engage in service delivery with the ultimate goal to advance global health. The department is organised in multidisciplinary research groups, including public health specialists, epidemiologists, social scientists and health economists. The Tropical Infectious Diseases Group brings together epidemiologists and social scientists who jointly aim to understand drivers of transmission and to identify effective interventions of infectious of particular relevance in low- and middle-income settings, including neglected tropical diseases and (re)emerging infections.
We are looking for a junior epidemiologist who will contribute to the understanding of the sero-prevalence and drivers of transmission of COVID-19, Rift Valley fever and other emerging infectious diseases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- You will assist in the development of research protocols and conduct epidemiological field studies, in particular on Rift Valley fever in DRC. You will collaborate with the researchers from an international consortium.
- You will follow-up implementation of ongoing seroprevalence and seroconversion studies of COVID-19 in DRC.
- You will manage and analyse the epidemiological data generated by the studies above mentioned.
- In case there is an outbreak of an emerging infectious disease in the study settings, you will assist development and implementation of epidemiological outbreak studies.
- You will coach local field teams.
- You will prepare and collaborate on project proposals in the field of tropical infectious diseases to be submitted to external funding sources.
- You will write scientific papers and reports.
- You will be stationed in Antwerp, but regularly perform missions to DRC. You will work under supervision of a senior research fellow.
- You hold a Master’s degree in medicine, biomedical sciences and/or epidemiology.
- You have good knowledge of epidemiology, statistics, research methods and project management.
- You have epidemiological field experience; experience in LMIC is a strong asset.
- You have good conceptual, analytical and scientific writing skills.
- You have experience in working with data analysis software (Stata, R or similar program).
- You are highly motivated, with a multidisciplinary attitude and affinity with ITM's objectives and spirit.
- You have the flexibility to travel to low-resource settings on a short-term notice.
- You are fluent in speaking and writing in French and in English. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- You are a team player, have good communication skills and can build strong multi-disciplinary working relationships.
- You are quality-driven, service-minded and result-oriented.
The ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on the new international health challenges. We strive for excellence, integrity, specificity and efficiency. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. Together we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training. We offer you:
- A fulltime position. This position is budget until May 2025, you will start with a contract for 2 years.
- Starting date as soon as possible.
- A salary according to the pay scales of the Flemish universities and to your work experience, with supplementary extralegal benefits: a public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, private pension scheme and meal vouchers subscription.
- An immigration and relocation assistance package.
For more information about this position, please contact HR (email@example.com). Send your CV (including list of publications, references and experience in LMIC) with motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 August 2020.
If this job does not fit your profile but you know someone who might be interested, please give them that chance and share this vacancy.