The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp aims at the advancement and spread of science that contributes to tropical medicine and to public health in low- and middle income countries, inclusive of their global dimensions. ITM provides fundamental, translational and applied scientific research, delivers advanced education and provides medical, scientific and societal expert services.
ITM’s Department of Clinical Sciences strives for optimal diagnosis and treatment of tropical and globalised infectious diseases. The department has an important expertise in dealing with epidemics and clinical trials (treatment, vaccine, diagnosis) in low-resource settings supported by the ITM Clinical Trials Unit. ITM hosts a travel clinic accommodating over 20,000 travelers a year and implemented the travel app www.wanda.be which opens up avenues for research during travel.
The department is opening up a position for a professor in travel medicine to conduct research on the prevention and management of travel-related diseases, including drug and vaccine trials. The position also has responsibilities as a reference for travel health in Belgium. This research position is in the Department of Clinical Sciences but collaboration with the Department of Public Health and the Department of Biomedical Sciences is expected.
- Setting up competitive research in the field of travel medicine in Belgium and drug/vaccine studies in the travel clinic and in low- and middle-income countries
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with researchers at ITM, nationally and internationally on prevention of travel-related disease, including behavioural research.
- Attracting external research funding and strengthening the visibility of research in the department/ITM.
- Teaching in the field of travel medicine at post-initial master’s and PhD level, as well as various specialised short courses.
- Participating in the clinical services at ITM.
- Playing an international reference role in the field of travel medicine and represent ITM in the superior Health Council and the Study Group on Travel Medicine in Belgium.
- Executing line management duties as head of the unit.
- Reporting to the head of the Department of Clinical Sciences.
- Contributing to the departmental and institutional policy development.
We are looking for an outstanding academic in the field of travel medicine to perform advanced clinical studies on vaccine-preventable travel related diseases and to conduct clinical trials on medicines to prevent or treat tropical diseases among travelers.
The candidate must be an MD, specialised in infectious diseases, certified to practice in Belgium. Experience in travel medicine and in working in a resource-limited environment are assets. The candidate must be a holder of a PhD, have a strong academic track record of grant writing, project management and scientific output.
She or he is fluent in Dutch, English and French, quality-oriented, and has a team-focused emphatic personality.
ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges. We strive for excellence, integrity, specificity and efficiency. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. Together we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training.
- A full-time tenured appointment. Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor.
- A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities and to your work experience with supplementary benefits: a public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, private pension scheme and meal voucher subscription.
- An immigration and relocation assistance package.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of ITM, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. ITM offers international staff members tailor-made language coaching.
For more information about this position, please contact HR (email@example.com). Send your CV together with the ITM academic curriculum form and your letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15 December 2020.
This job may not fit your profile, but perhaps you know someone who might be a good candidate. Do share this vacancy!