The mission of the Department of Public Health of the Institute of Tropical Medicine is to conduct public health research of international standing, provide postgraduate education of high quality and engage in service delivery with the ultimate goal to advance global health. The department is organised in multidisciplinary research groups that bring together public health specialists, epidemiologists, social scientists, health economists, political scientists and nurses.
The Health Systems & Health Policy Research Group focuses on the organisation of local (district) health systems, national and global health policies, universal health coverage and equity, governance, health in fragile settings and research methodology in health systems and policy research. The academic activities of the research group are inspired by the values of Primary Health Care. It is committed to Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and the Sustainable Development Goals and specifically aims at making health systems more people-centered, integrated, accountable, equitable and resilient.
Within this research group, ITM seeks to recruit a professor of health systems. Together with ITM’s partners in the South and the North, and adopting a complex systems perspective, the candidate will develop a comprehensive research and training portfolio in this field. The thematic focus is on co-designing, implementing and evaluating innovations in Universal Health Coverage, policy implementation and management of local health systems, with opportunities to develop research on the challenges that climate change, planetary health and/or urban health raise for the design and organisation of health systems.
- Develop a research portfolio in the above field, including acquiring funding, developing partnerships and strengthening the international reputation and visibility of ITM’s work in this field.
- Attract and train PhD students.
- Teach modules on health service organisation at primary care level, health system strengthening, universal health coverage and health policy and systems research in ITM’s Master in Public Health.
- Contribute to ITM’s international partnerships and collaborations.
- Provide expert advice to national and international stakeholders in the field.
- Co-lead the Health Systems and Equity Unit, take up responsibilities regarding management, quality and safety, and contribute to the strategy of the Health Systems and Health Policy Research Group.
- You have a PhD in a research domain that is relevant to the above-described position.
- You have an initial Master in Medicine (medical doctor) or related expertise (social/health/biomedical sciences), and preferably an additional Master in Public Health (MPH).
- You have a proven track record of high-quality research on health systems in low- and middle-income countries, including extensive publications.
- You have proven experience with the context and health systems in low- and middle-income countries. Professional experience in management of health systems in resource-poor settings is a major asset.
- You have a strong focus on health systems and health policy research methodology. Having strong quantitative research skills, experience in interfacing quantitative and qualitative research and/or comparative research skills is an asset.
- Having experience or a keen interest in the current global challenges that inequity, urbanisation and climate change raise for health systems is an asset.
- You have a solid background in teaching on health systems in low- and middle-income countries.
- You have a strong academic track record in successful grant writing, PhD training and research collaborations, and a wide network.
- You are an inspiring leader, strong communicator and good team manager.
- You have demonstrable active knowledge of English and French. You speak Dutch or are willing to learn it. Knowledge of other languages is an asset.
The ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges. We strive for excellence, integrity, specificity and efficiency. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. Together we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training.
- A full-time tenured appointment. Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor.
- A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities and to your work experience with supplementary benefits: a public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, private pension scheme and meal voucher subscription.
- An immigration and relocation assistance package.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of ITM, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. ITM offers international staff members tailor-made language coaching.
For more information about this position, please contact HR (firstname.lastname@example.org). Send your CV together with the ITM academic curriculum form and your letter of motivation to email@example.com before 15 December 2020.
This job may not fit your profile, but perhaps you know someone who might be a good candidate. Do share this vacancy!