The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp is a recognised by decree as an autonomous institution for research, education and services in tropical medicine and public health in developing countries.
The Department of Clinical Sciences within ITM strives for optimal diagnostics and treatment of tropical and globalised infectious diseases with the aim of promoting the health of the individual patient. The department has important expertise in dealing with epidemics and clinical trials, supported by a dedicated Clinical Trials Unit. Various types of clinical studies (vaccine, diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic) are being conducted in different continents.
Embedded in these patient cohorts, the Clinical Immunology Unit conducts vital clinical research in the human immune responses during several neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) and newly (re-)emerging diseases, whether related to cure, latency, treatment outcome or persistence, in order to better develop vaccines, adjuvants, host-directed therapies, prognostic and diagnostic tools.
As an experienced immunologist you will:
- Conduct basic and translational immunological research directly on patient samples.
- Coordinate ongoing immunological research in the field of NTDs.
- Set up new clinical studies as well as immunosurveillance platforms in high- to low-income countries.
- Develop a research line focused on vaccinology and spatial analyses of the host-pathogen interaction in tissue architecture, in close collaboration with ITM’s bioinformaticians.
- Write high quality scientific papers and attract external research funding.
- Collaborate with and support immunological activities across ITM, and organise scientific exchange.
- Promote and expand the network of national and international collaborators.
- Train students as well as scientific and technical staff in high- to low-income countries.
- Invest 80% of your time in research and 20% in teaching and service delivery activities.
- Collaborate closely with the head of the Clinical Immunology Unit.
- Contribute to the departmental and research group’s management.
- You have a master degree in the field of immunology, (bio)medical sciences, bioinformatics or other related life sciences.
- A PhD degree is desirable (although not necessary for classification as a research assistant).
- You have a minimum of three years of working experience in the field of immunology.
- You have experience in transcriptomics. Affinity with single-cell sequencing or new evolutions in this field is considered a strong asset.
- You have experience with spatially-resolved techniques (e.g. immunohistochemistry, RNA FISH, Digital Spatial Profiling, spatial transcriptomics) or are willing to quickly learn.
- Affinity with tropical infectious diseases and the associated biosafety requirements is considered an asset.
- You have a strong publication track record.
- You have analytical and scientific writing skills.
- You are independent and you have good organisational skills.
- You have a team-focused emphatic personality, have good communication skills and are passionate to travel and conduct research in low-resource settings.
- Coaching and/or training skills are a plus.
- You speak and write fluently English. Knowledge of Dutch or French is an asset.
ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges. We strive for excellence, integrity, specificity and efficiency. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. Together we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training.
We offer you:
- A full-time contract of two years, extendable. Earliest starting date 1 April 2021, depending on your availability.
- A salary according to the pay scales of the ITM and the Flemish universities, including benefits such as extra-legal pension plan, public transportation or bike compensation and meal vouchers. ITM also offers an immigration and relocation assistance package.