The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp aims at the advancement and spread of science that contributes to infectious disease medicine and to public health globally with focus on low- and middle income countries, inclusive of their global dimensions. ITM provides fundamental, translational and applied scientific research, delivers advanced education and provides medical, scientific and societal expert services. The ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges.
ITM’s Department of Clinical Sciences strives for optimal diagnosis, treatment and prevention of tropical and globalized infectious diseases. The department has long-standing well-recognised expertise in working with both epidemic and endemic infectious diseases in lower-resourced settings and in the conduct of clinical trials of treatments, vaccines, and diagnositics, supported by the ITM Clinical Trials Unit, and a newly established Clinical Trials Centre. We host six national reference laboratories, including for Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Arboviruses, Sexually Transmitted Infections, HIV, and for other pathogens. We are also a WHO Collaborating Centre for HIV diagnositics. The ITM clinic sees over 20,000 travelers a year. This also provides a unique opportunity for clinic research on emerging infectious diseases amongst travellers.
The department is opening up a position for a research professor in Emerging Infectious Diseases to conduct leading clinical research on emerging infections and outbreaks, with focus on diseases relevant to low and middle income countries. This position will be dedicated to research and generating high-quality research output (80%), and also includes limited teaching assignments and other service assignments (20%).
- You will build a very strong competitive clinical research group on emerging infectious diseases, including real-time clinical research studies on diagnostics, treatments or vaccines for newly emerging health threats such as outbreaks, with focus on low & middle-income countries and where relevant also in Belgium and Europe.
- You will contribute, consolidate and expand the role and visibility of ITM as a global leader on research on emerging infectious diseases.
- You will collaborate with global partners on clinical research on outbreaks and emerging disease prevention and control.
- You will create synergies with researchers on emerging infections in the other departments.
- You will fullfill limited teaching assignments in the field of infectious disease at post-initial master’s, PhD level, and in specialized short courses.
- You will take on a role as international scientific expert/adviser in the field of Emerging Infectious Diseases and represent ITM at the national and international level when called for.
- You will apply for, and secure internal and external competitive funding to build your research team and to develop your research programme. You are expected to compete for an European Research Council (ERC) grant.
- You will publish in high impact journals and build up international reputation and visibility.
- You will coach your team members and execute line management duties as head of the unit.
- If there is an interest from the candidate, participation in the clinical services at ITM can be considered.
- MD and PhD in a research domain that is relevant to the above-described role.
- Recognised internationally as leading researcher, or either be a researcher with high research potential, in the field of emerging infectious diseases, demonstrated by a matching excellent output of high-quality, peer-reviewed research on infectious diseases. You have a well-developed strategy for your future research that has the potential to result in world-leading publications.
- Track record of successful high-level competitive grant writing and experienced as leading project principal investigator.
- Existing network of research collaborators.
- Experience in working in a resource-limited environment and a relevant clinical sub-specialty are assets.
- Experience in postgraduate teaching, and MSc and PhD thesis supervision.
- Leader, mentor, and strong communicator.
- Fluent in English. A good command of Dutch or willingness to learn is desirable. Knowledge of other languages such as French or Spanish is an asset.
ITM is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive institute. We strive for excellence and relevance, integrity, sustainability and persistence and fairness. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. We offer you:
- A full-time appointment. Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor.
- A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities and to your work experience with some supplementary benefits, such as private pension scheme and meal voucher subscription.
- An attractive research starting grant
- A collegial research environment and mentorship with attention to work-life balance and individual growth and development.
- An immigration and relocation assistance package.
To apply for this post, send the ITM’s application form or your CV (compliant with the application form), together with your letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org. The apllication form can be downloaded above.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 28 February 2022 .
Does this job not fit your profile, but do you know someone who does? Give them that chance and