The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp aims at the advancement and spread of science that contributes to infectious disease medicine and to public health globally with focus on low- and middle income countries, inclusive of their global dimensions. ITM provides fundamental, translational and applied scientific research, delivers advanced education and provides medical, scientific and societal expert services. ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges.
The Department of Clinical Sciences strives for optimal diagnosis and treatment of tropical and globalized infectious diseases. The department also runs the Medical Services of ITM, a national reference center for tropical, infectious and imported diseases and HIV/AIDS. The Travel Clinic, one of the flagships of the Department of Clinical Sciences, is in charge of service delivery, expert advice, research, and training in all aspects of Travel and Tropical Medicine.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed senior specialist in internal medicine and infectious diseases to join our medical team in the pre- and post-travel outpatient clinic of ITM.
- You will work as a senior internist in the pre- and post-travel outpatient clinic.
- You will assist in the routine HIV/STI care.
- You will develop and build the core expertise of tropical medicine in close collaboration with the colleagues of the tropical diseases unit.
- You coach and support junior staff with complex cases.
- You provide expert advice to national and international bodies and stakeholders in the field of tropical medicine.
- You will be on call for the Infectious Diseases Unit of the University Hospital of Antwerp, in rotation with colleagues from the ITM and from the University Hospital.
- You actively participate in the research activities and studies conducted in Infectious Diseases, both at ITM and/or abroad.
- You coach and support students in medicine, master and PhD students and train assistants in infectious diseases.
- You contribute to (distance) education in tropical medicine.
- You report to the Head of the Travel Clinic, Prof. Dr. P. Soentjens.
- You are a medical doctor with a specialization in internal medicine, certified and registered to practice as such in Belgium.
- You have 10 years of clinical experience.
- You hold a diploma in tropical medicine.
- You hold a diploma in infectious diseases.
- You have solid experience in clinical management of infectious and tropical diseases in Europe and/or in tropical setting.
- You have a proven interest in research in infectious diseases.
- You are a good communicator and team-player.
- You have an excellent knowledge of Dutch and French, English is desirable.
ITM is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive institute. We strive for excellence and relevance, integrity, sustainability and persistence and fairness. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. We offer you:
- A full-time permanent contract. Starting date: as soon as possible.
- A pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and individual growth and development. ITM is located in the middle of the vibrant city of Antwerp and is easily accessible by public transport.
- A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities, complemented by clinical fees and some supplementary benefits, such as private pension scheme and meal voucher subscription.