The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) is internationally recognised as a center of excellence for education, research, and service delivery in the field of tropical medicine.
The Department of Public Health focuses on the health of populations, through research on the epidemiology and control of tropical diseases as well as the study of health systems. The portfolio of the department includes research on health policy, health systems, sexual & reproductive health, maternal & child health, tropical infectious diseases, non-communicable diseases, as well as research on antimicrobial resistance and outbreaks. Research at the department is multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary. Researchers have different backgrounds and include public health specialists, epidemiologists, social scientists and health economists.
The Unit of General Epidemiology and Disease Control is part of the Tropical Infectious Diseases group, in charge of research, teaching and service provision in epidemiology and control of diseases in the tropics.
We are looking for an epidemiologist with a scientific profile and interest and experience in tuberculosis research.
- You will contribute to new research initiatives with respect to prevention and control of tuberculosis, and look for project financing.
- You will mentor and coach students who write a master’s thesis.
- You will contribute to capacity strengthening and research on tuberculosis, in particular within the Belgian cooperation-funded institutional collaboration with the Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kourí (Havana, Cuba) and the Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humboldt, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (Lima, Peru).
- You will contribute to the general teaching and organisation of the tuberculosis module of the Master in Public Health and of the postgraduate programmes of ITM.
- You are a medical doctor or you have a master degree in another relevant discipline.
- You have postgraduate training in epidemiology and/or public health, or comparable expertise.
- You have relevant experience in epidemiological and operational research in low or middle income countries, including writing research protocols, research implementation, data analysis and publishing your findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
- You have knowledge of/experience in teaching at postgraduate level.
- You can work independently and in a multidisciplinary international team.
- You are willing to perform missions overseas.
- Language requirements: excellent English. Knowledge of Spanish is a very strong asset. Knowledge of French and Dutch is an asset.
- An intellectually stimulating, international and socially committed environment.
- You will work at the ITM headquarters, situated in the bustling city of Antwerp.
- A full-time fixed-term mandate for 15 months.
- Starting date: October 2019.
- A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and Flemish universities.
- Reimbursement of public transport costs, bicycle compensation and luncheon vouchers, additional pension scheme.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr Tullia Battaglioli (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Marianne van der Sande (email@example.com). Please apply before 6 September 2019. Download and send the ITM application form together with your letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org.