The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp is a decretally recognised autonomous institution for research, education and services in tropical medicine and public health in developing countries. It occupies a unique place in the Flemish academic landscape and is recognised worldwide as a centre of excellence within its field of work. The Department of Clinical Sciences strives for optimal diagnostics and treatment of tropical and globalised infectious diseases (HIV, tuberculosis) with the aim of promoting the health of the individual patient. It addresses this challenge in different contexts, ranging from its own medical services in Antwerp to basic health centres in developing countries. The highly specialised medical services of ITM as well as the reference laboratories are part of the Department of Clinical Sciences. The department also has an important acquired expertise in dealing with epidemics and clinical trials.
Historically the department has played an important role in research and education in the field of HIV and tropical diseases, both in the South and in Belgium. HIV/AIDS remains a major global challenge, with new problems such as resistance but also opportunities such as the use of preventive medicines, HIV cure and new POC technologies. Nonetheless, due to climate warming and globalisation we are in a state of increased alert for a possibility of ‘new’ epidemics, with an impact on travel medicine as well. In order to increase the critical mass in the field of virologic research, the department wishes to create an academic laboratory unit ‘clinical virology’.
We open a position for a ZAP in this unit, to complement the existing lines of research in the reference laboratories (Department of Clinical Sciences) and the Virology Unit (Department of Biomedical Sciences) and to strengthen interdisciplinary research.
- Setting up competitive research in the field of clinical virology in Belgium and in low and middle-income countries.
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with researchers at ITM, nationally (HIV-BREACH) and internationally.
- Attracting external research funding and strengthening the visibility of research in the department/ITM.
- Teaching in the field of HIV and clinical virology at post-initial master’s and PhD level, as well as various specialised short courses.
- Supervising master and PhD students.
- Supporting laboratory activities in multidisciplinary research projects (GCLP).
- Representing the ITM and play an active role in the Belgian network of ARLs.
- Supervision of clinical laboratory activities in the field of HIV (HIV testing, viral load, resistance, CD4) and STD.
- Executing line management duties as head of the unit.
- Contributing to the departmental and institutional policy development.
- You are a clinical biologist and holder of a PhD.
- You have experience in research, including significant publications.
- You have a strong academic track record of grant writing, PhD supervision, project management.
- You are available full-time.
- You can develop, translate and disseminate a vision and strategy.
- You are quality- and result-oriented.
- You have good social skills and strong empathy.
- You have a team-focused personality.
- You have an active knowledge of Dutch, English and French.
- A stimulating international environment in a historic bustling city.
- A full-time appointment as a professor (associate / full, dependent on curriculum) for 3 years, with renewal in case of positive evaluation.
- Core support in terms of research staff, facilities and international collaboration.
- A salary according to the scale of the ITM and the Flemish universities including clinical fees for clinical laboratory activities.
- Additional benefits, including extra-legal pension plan, public transport or bike compensation, meal vouchers.
- The ability to make a fundamental contribution to the future of ITM and the development of HIV research within the department.
For more information about the assignment and the profile, contact Prof. Dr. Lut Lynen (email@example.com). Apply before 31 December 2018. Send your motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Download the ITM application form from www.itg.be/vacatures and send the application form with your motivation letter to email@example.com.