The International Health Policy Unit (chair Prof. Wim Van Damme) works closely with the Health Systems Unit (Prof. Bart Criel & Prof. Bruno Marchal). Together they form the health systems & health policy group, focusing on health systems strengthening (HSS), with primary health care (PHC) & universal health coverage (UHC) perspectives, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa & Asia.
In the Department of Public Health we have 3 other groups: one focusing on epidemiology and control of infectious diseases, one on sexual and reproductive health, and one on NCDs.
The health systems & health policy group is recruiting a scientist health financing / health economics, with focus on health financing & health economics in low- and middle-income countries.
- Coordinate the health financing course (3 weeks), an advanced course component of our MPH, in French (2019) and in English (2020).
- Teach on health financing and health economics in the core of the MPH and in the postgraduate course ‘Introduction to International Health’.
- Contribute to capacity building in health financing and health economics, in partner institutions, focusing on PHC and UHC and support partners with data management and data mining.
- Collaborate closely with international researchers in partner institutions (mostly in sub-Saharan Africa & Asia), to carry out and disseminate policy-relevant health systems research.
- Co-write and publish scientific papers in peer reviewed journals.
- Assist with grant proposals and write research protocols on health financing and health economics in low- and middle-income countries.
- Support postgraduates and PhD students at ITM with assignments and thesis work.
- Support research projects with a health financing and health economics component (such as costing studies or cost-effectiveness analysis), within the wider ITM.
- Collaborate in the Emerging Voices for Global Health Network (www.ev4gh.net) and contribute to the International Health Policies newsletter and blog (www.internationalhealthpolicies.org).
- Collaborate with the Alliance of School of Public Health in the development of joint courses with partner institutions.
- Work with the support and under the guidance of Prof. Wim Van Damme.
- You have a Master degree in relevant sciences and hold a degree in health economics, including a research skills component, or equivalent.
- An additional qualification or module studied related to health systems is a strong asset. You have an interest in health financing and health economics in low- and middle income countries.
- You have a first experience in designing research, carrying out field work and analysis of data sets in low- and middle-income countries.
- You are able to coach health professionals in the global South, with due respect for their cultural sensitivities and Southern perspectives.
- You are proficient in English and in French, and can teach in both languages. Knowledge of Dutch and/or Spanish is an asset.
- You are willing to travel abroad frequently.
- You have good communication and networking skills and you are a team player.
- A stimulating, interesting and socially committed environment with room for personal initiative.
- You are based at ITM, situated in the centre of the vibrant city of Antwerp.
- A full time contract initially for 1 year, extendable.
- Starting date as soon as possible.
- A gross salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and the Flemish universities and to your work experience.
- Reimbursement of public transport costs and/or bicycle fee, luncheon vouchers and a private pension scheme.