The Department of Clinical Sciences of the Institute of Tropical Medicine concentrates on patient-based research, training and services, with emphasis on tropical and infectious diseases in low-resource settings. Over the past decade, antibiotic resistance has become a topic of increasing scientific interest in the department. The Unit of Tropical Laboratory Medicine (headed by Prof Jan Jacobs) promotes quality management systems in medical and reference laboratories through networking among South partners. One of the activities is implementation of clinical bacteriology and microbiological surveillance in particular for invasive bacterial infections. For this project, we are looking for a scientific fellow.
- You are responsible for the coordination and implementation of the capacity building project of the unit.
- You will coach and support South partners in identifying and achieving quality targets in laboratory medicine, particularly in clinical bacteriology and microbiological surveillance.
- You will develop and carry out the practical organisation of joint activities with South partners in the frame of the above: preparation, protocol writing, documenting, training, implementing quality assurance, assistance in data analysis and writing reports.
- You will coach and support South-partners during their study visits at ITM: preparation, daily coaching, assistance in planning, conducting and processing laboratory and data analysis, preparing results for diffusion towards professional and scientific communities.
- You will contribute to the laboratory work-up of pathogens recovered from the ongoing projects (identification, antibiotic susceptibility testing, contacts with reference laboratories).
- You will support practical organisation of educational activities in the scope of the above.
- You hold a master in (bio)medical sciences, biology, pharmacy or other relevant life sciences.
- You have knowledge and experience in the field of tropical medicine and international health or equivalent.
- You have hands-on skills and experience with clinical laboratory.
- You are fluent in French and English, knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- You have excellent organising, networking, management and writing skills.
- You are a team player with good communication skills who can build strong multidisciplinary working relationships.
- You are willing to travel overseas on a regular basis.
- An intellectually stimulating, international and socially committed environment, encouraging personal initiative and development.
- A work place in the historical and vibrant city centre of Antwerp.
- A full-time contract of 1 year, with possible extension.
- A salary package according to your professional experience, including supplementary benefits such as additional private pension scheme, public transport subscription and/or bicycle fee, meal vouchers subscription.