The Department of Applied Technology & Production (TTP) is responsible for the production and distribution of non-commercially available diagnostic kits for sleeping sickness. In addition, TTP provides services to the scientific departments. TTP consists of ten employees, including team leaders. You will report directly to the General Manager.
- Together with the General Manager and an interdepartmental steering committee you will translate the ITM's strategic objectives into coherent policy objectives and a multi-year plan for TTP. As head of the scientific department, you will work closely together with the diagnostics senior research fellow.
- You will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Applied Technology & Production:
- The production of high quality and affordable diagnostic reagents and accessories for human and animal African trypanosomiasis and visceral leishmaniasis
- Operation of the animalarium
- Operation of the cryobank
- Preparation of cultural media
- Cleaning, sterilisation and decontamination of laboratory material
- Carrying out diagnostic reference tests for African trypanosomiasis and visceral leishmaniasis and any other diagnostics
- Logistical support for the mAECT production unit at the Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale, Kinshasa
- You will manage, coach and evaluate your employees and ensure good cooperation. Together with your team leaders, you’ll improve the processes and scientific infrastructure for the activities of TTP in consultation with the three scientific departments. You will provide training in the production of diagnostics and develop training for the other aspects of TTP.
- You will explore the possibilities to expand the diagnostics portfolio. You will support researchers in developing business plans with your insight into new strategic developments in innovation policy and the industrial sector in the field of diagnostics. You will contribute to valorisation projects for VLAIO, R&D, ...
- You will build a network with relevant academic, clinical and industrial partners.
- You have a master or doctoral degree in life sciences and/or veterinary medicine.
- You have knowledge of laboratory animal science (LAS). You obtained the C-certificate of the Federation for Laboratory Animal Science Associations (FELASA) or you are willing to obtain it during the first months of your employment.
- You have an affinity with the bio-industry (preferably in the field of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, animal health) and a good knowledge of the applied technology, especially in vitro medical diagnostics and a good knowledge of the quality procedures for the production of diagnostics.
- Experience with applied research in the life sciences sector (patents, licences, contract research) is a plus.
- As a passionate people manager you have an eye for the individual needs and motivations of your team members as well as the team needs. You are clear and transparent in your communication, you are clear about what is expected and you stimulate your employees to get the most out of them. You know how to enthuse and inspire your colleagues for an idea or plan.
- You can convince and negotiate with external partners and suppliers. Experience in setting up (inter)national partnerships is a plus.
- Your closest colleagues describe you as stress-resistant, flexible, solution-oriented, proactive and customer-oriented.
- Experience in writing valorisation-oriented applications is a plus.
- You have a good knowledge of Dutch, English and French.
ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on the new international health challenges. Your assignment contributes to this. Together, we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training. The ITM is located in the middle of the vibrant city of Antwerp and is easily accessible by public transport. We offer you:
- A fascinating function with room for initiative and development.
- A full-time assignment with a contract for two years, renewable. Starting date as soon as possible.
- A salary taking into account your work experience, supplemented with a number of fringe benefits: bicycle allowance and/or public transport season ticket, luncheon vouchers and supplementary pension.
Do you work at the ITM and are you ready for a new challenge within our organisation? Do not hesitate to contact HR for more information. Your application will be treated confidentially.
If this job does not fit your profile but you know someone who might be interested, please share this vacancy.