Research Fellow in Travel Medicine
Department of Clinical Sciences - Travel Medicine Unit
Apply before 1 June 2023
The Department of Clinical Sciences strives for optimal diagnosis, treatment and prevention of tropical and globalized infectious diseases. The department has long-standing well-recognised expertise in working both in tropical lower-resource settings and in the conduct of clinical trials of treatments, vaccines, and diagnostics, supported by the ITM Clinical Trials Center.
The Medical Services of ITM with more than 20.000 travelers a year, is a national reference center for travel-related infectious and tropical diseases. Our ITM team works in close relationship with the Infectious Diseases Unit of the University Hospital of Antwerp. The newly started Travel Medicine Research Unit focusses on surveillance, observational and interventional studies and mainly randomised clinical trials in travelers within their national and international network.
· You coordinate and perform scientific research projects (e.g. clinical trials, observational studies and App-based surveys in the field of Travel Medicine).
· You will help in developing competitive grant proposals (GeoSentinel, Defense, KCE, EDCTP, and others).
· You will publish and report on scientific results.
· You reinforce and assist the Travel Medicine Research Unit in their expertise activities of scientific and societal service delivery.
· You build and maintain the network of internal and external contacts relevant to the unit.
· You keep up to date with evolutions in the field of Travel Medicine and Vaccinology.
· You contribute to teaching in short courses in the field of Travel Medicine.
· You report to the Head of the Travel Medicine Research Unit, Prof. Dr. P. Soentjens.
· You are a medical doctor with a PhD.
· A MSc in epidemiology is an important asset.
· You have significant clinical and research experience in the field of Vaccinology and Travel Medicine.
· Overseas working experience is an asset.
· You have good conceptual, analytical and scientific writing skills.
· You can use statistical software packages like Stata and SPSS.
· You have a good knowledge of English. Knowledge of Dutch, French and Spanish are assets.
· You are a team player with strong communication skills.
· You are quality-driven, service-minded and result-orientated.
The ITM is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on the new international health challenges. We strive for excellence, integrity, specificity and efficiency. Your assignment contributes to our mission. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. Together we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training. We offer you:
· A full-time position (100%) for 2 years. Starting date as soon as possible.
· A pleasant working atmosphere with attention to individual growth and development and a strong focus on collaboration and interaction.
· A workplace in the middle of the vibrant city of Antwerp, easily accessible by public transport.
· A salary package depending on your profile and professional experience, and supplementary benefits, such as private pension scheme, meal voucher subscription and reimbursement of transport.
· An immigration and relocation assistance package if applicable.