Research Fellow – Reproductive and Maternal Health
Department of Public Health - Maternal and Reproductive Health Unit, Sexual and Reproductive Health Group
Apply before 20 June 2023
The Department of Public Health of the Institute of Tropical Medicine in Antwerp (ITM) aims to conduct public health research of international standing, provide postgraduate education of high quality and engage in service delivery to advance public health. The department is organized into multidisciplinary research groups, including public health specialists, epidemiologists, and social scientists.
The Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) group’s objective is to contribute to the improvement of sexual, reproductive, and maternal health mainly (but not only) in low resource settings, through linking scientific research, advanced education, policy support and capacity-strengthening. We use quantitative, qualitative and mixed method inter-disciplinary approaches (e.g. epidemiology, sociology, anthropology, psychology, demography) that explain risk and vulnerability as evidence base for improving outcomes.
The Maternal and Reproductive Health Unit of the SRH Group is looking to strengthen their teaching, research and capacity-strengthening portfolio by recruiting a postdoctoral Research Fellow. The Research Fellow will engage in postgraduate teaching, maternal and reproductive health research, and capacity-building activities with partner institutions.
· You will design, organise and deliver teaching on sexual, reproductive and maternal health topics for Masters, postgraduate certificate and short course students.
· You will (co-)supervise Masters and PhD students.
· You will contribute to research capacity-strengthening activities of the SRH Group in the domain of sexual, reproductive and maternal health, mainly through joint activities with partner institutions.
· You will engage in networking, dissemination and advocacy activities in Belgium, Europe and globally.
· You will engage in research activities on the topic of sexual, reproductive and maternal health, by leading and contributing to research grant applications, managing research projects, and publishing in peer-reviewed journals and on other platforms.
· You will report to Dr. Lenka Benova and collaborate with others within the Unit and the SRH Group, other research groups within ITM and partners outside ITM, including partners in low- and middle-income countries.
We are looking for an outstanding Research Fellow who is passionate about conducting high quality teaching and research activities in support of equitable access to sexual, reproductive and maternal health services. This is a unique opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary team, develop your own research ideas, broaden your network of research partners, and contribute to high-quality teaching and capacity-strengthening activities of the SRH Group.
Competencies and skills
· You are clinically trained (i.e., medical doctor, midwife, nurse)
· You hold or are nearing completion of a PhD degree in public health, epidemiology, a related health field or in a social science (sociology, anthropology)
· You have experience conducting rigorous sexual, reproductive and/or maternal health research and publishing in peer-reviewed journals
· You have excellent knowledge of English and French
· You are willing to travel overseas
· You have good organizational and analytical skills, are a team-player who can work across cultures respectfully, and are open-minded
· You have experience working in low- or middle-income countries
· You have led or participated in writing research grant applications for competitive funding calls
· You have experience developing courses and/or teaching on research methods, public health, sexual & reproductive health, maternal, or other related health topics
· You have experience supervising Masters and PhD students
· You are fluent in English, both in writing and speaking. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset
The Institute of Tropical Medicine is an open and international campus where staff, students and researchers work on new international health challenges. We strive for excellence, integrity, and efficiency. Your assignment contributes to this vision. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. Together we ensure a pleasant working atmosphere with attention to work-life balance and opportunities for training. We offer you:
· An intellectually stimulating, international and socially committed environment, encouraging personal initiative and development
· A full-time contract of undetermined duration (starting date preferably February 2024)
· A salary package depending on your profile and professional experience, and supplementary benefits, such as private pension scheme, meal voucher subscription and reimbursement of transport.
· A workplace in the middle of the vibrant city of Antwerp, easily accessible by public transport
· An immigration and relocation assistance package