Research Fellow Vector Biology / Microbiology / Functional genomics
Department of Biomedical Sciences - Unit of Experimental Immunology
Apply before 15 June 2023
More than 480 staff members at the Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) contribute every day to improving the health of millions of people worldwide. Our researchers conduct more than 200 scientific projects in the fields of tropical medicine and international health. Our teaching staff welcomes more than 500 professionals from around the world each academic year to attend our highly regarded medical courses. Tens of thousands of travel and STI consultations take place in our clinic each year, and our internationally recognized reference laboratories examine many hundreds of thousands of samples.
There is only one way we can accomplish these very diverse tasks: thanks to a great passion for our mission. Does the ITM appeal to you as a workplace? If so, we would be delighted to welcome you as a Research Fellow at the Unit of Experimental Immunology of the Department of Biomedical Sciences.
The Unit of Experimental Immunology aims at understanding the molecular interactions between the vector mosquito innate immune system and the malaria parasite. The expectation of our lab research is to identify and characterize genes and physiological systems linked to Anopheles – Plasmodium compatibility and novel factors that are implicated in the activation and mediation of anti-Plasmodium immune responses in the vector mosquito. The experimental approach of our recently established laboratory combines malaria parasite culture, mosquito rearing, infection assays, molecular biology assays and reverse genetic analysis. The Unit is recruiting a postdoctoral Research Fellow to study molecular aspects of the Anopheles mosquito innate immune system that are linked to anti-Plasmodium defence.
· You will be responsible for conducting one or more lines of research within the Unit’s research programme in liaison with other team members
· You will perform Plasmodium cultures, mosquito rearing and infection assays
· You will conduct molecular biology, immunology and cellular biology analysis
· You will write high quality publications for scientific journals
· You will present research results at different levels and for different audiences
· You will contribute to the scientific discussion and help training and supervising Master and PhD students
· You will apply for postdoc fellowships
· You hold a PhD in Microbiology, Entomology, Vector Biology or a related field
· You have expertise in parasite tissue culture, preferably Plasmodium culture, and molecular biology techniques
· You have an interest in vector-borne diseases and immunology
· You preferably have previous expertise in entomology and mouse models
· You show a high level of enthusiasm and motivation, and you are scientifically curious
· You have excellent scientific writing and oral communication skills in English
· You have excellent organization skills
The ITM is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive institute. We strive for excellence and relevance, integrity, sustainability and persistence and fairness. Your assignment contributes to the socially relevant mission of the ITM. We value human dignity and diversity, academic creativity and a critical spirit, solidarity and cooperation, and the well-being of employees, students, patients and clients. We offer you:
· A fulltime contract as a research fellow within the new and dynamic Experimental Immunology Unit, as part of an exciting research programme, with an initial duration of 2 years. Starting date: as soon as possible.
· A collegial working environment with attention to work-life balance and individual growth and development
· Opportunities to interact with other ITM Units and Departments comprising an excellent group of scientists with a wide range of interests and expertise in tropical infectious diseases.
· The Institute and Department comprise state-of-the-art facilities within the heart of the vibrant city of Antwerp, Belgium.
· Continuous training, co-supervision of junior staff/students and collaboration with colleagues from inside and outside the Institute
· A salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and to your work experience with some supplementary benefits, such as private pension scheme, reimbursement of transport and meal voucher subscription.