Health Policy and Systems Research Methodology
Join this 3-week course and get equipped for commissioning and designing Health Policy and Systems research studies and assessing and using their results for decision-making.
Date limite : 1 octobre 2023
5 crédits ECTS
The field of health policy and systems research (HPSR) examines how societies organise to achieve collective health goals, and how different actors and organisations interact in developing and organising health systems and programmes, and engage in health policy-making and policy implementation. Health system and policy researchers draw on inter-disciplinary approaches and methods to comprehensively document and analyse how health systems and health policies can be adapted and improved to responding to existing and emerging health issues.
In this 3-week course, you will gain understanding of how health policies and health systems can be described and analysed through research approaches and methods, and how to conceptualise a small-scale HPSR project.The course draws on perspectives and methods from disciplines such political science, sociology, anthropology and public health. Faculty from the Health Systems and Health Policy Research Group of the Department of Public Health at ITM and invited guest lecturers have extensive experience of HPSR and draw on a rich portfolio of studies to illustrate key principles and skills taught in the course.
At the end of this course component, the participant will be able to:
- understand the principles and approaches underlying HPSR
- contribute to the design and conduct of studies on health policies and systems
- commission HPSR studies and discuss the terms of reference with researchers or evaluators
- appraise the quality of results of papers reporting on HPSR
- summarize the key findings of papers reporting on HPSR and translate these into useful information for decision-making