Health Policy & Governance
This 3-week course will equip you with the tools to analyse health policies, initiate policy change and develop strategies for health governance and accountability.
Date limite : 1 octobre 2023
5 crédits ECTS
In today’s pluralist health systems, effective decision makers engage in a policy dialogue with actors at all levels of the health system, with international actors and with actors from other sectors. They act upon governance arrangements, which can be enablers or barriers to actual implementation of policies. Moreover, they respond to people’s increasing demand for better public accountability in health care.
This 3-week course on health policy and governance is relevant for health policy makers, local health system managers, programme managers and researchers involved in health policy processes and governance at different levels, both within and beyond the health sector.
The course includes perspectives from disciplines such as public health, political science, public administration, organisational sociology and economics.
The department of public health at ITM has a longstanding expertise and experience in supporting, implementing and studying health policy processes LMIC. The input of ITM staff is complemented by the involvement of worldwide partners and alumni. Participants also benefit from the rich exchange of experience between professionals originating from different parts of the world.
The overall aim is to equip the participants with methods, tools and techniques to analyse health policies and governance arrangements, initiate policy change and strategise for better governance and policy development.
After completion of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Identify the role of politics, power dynamics and their influence in the health policy process, health governance, and their outcomes
- Explain the roles that different categories of actors, institutions, and networks play in different phases of the policy process and in governance arrangements
- Analyse health policy processes and governance arrangements using appropriate theories, methods and tools
- Analyse the policy process, including implementation, with specific attention for the interfaces between the decentralised, national and global levels
- Explain the issue of (1) multi-level governance arrangements in intersectoral action, (2) explain accountability and social participation in health, including co-production of policy