Short Course in Clinical Research and Evidence-Based Medicine
This course provides the knowledge and skills for conducting clinical research, developing local guidelines, and enhancing clinical decision making.
Deadline: 1 juli 2023
SCREM is a blended training (distance learning component: September-November, 2023, max 8 hours/week, asynchronous; face-to-face: 15 April - 10 May, 2024) targeting professionals who are responsible for clinical research and local guidelines/algorithm development.
Clinical research in low to middle income countries is often implemented by specialised institutions. Clinicians in national, regional and district hospitals are aware that there is much information they could use to perform “low-scale” research to enhance their own decision-making. While academically oriented clinicians develop their research through doctoral study programs, the others often miss training opportunities. The SCREM aims at filling this gap, targeting professionals who are responsible for clinical quality assurance, for local guideline and/or algorithm development and for coaching junior staff in clinical research.
After completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Design a research project in the field of aetiology of health problems, effectiveness and efficiency of diagnostics or clinical management and disease prevention in low resource settings;
- Apply principles of evidence-based medicine (EBM). This includes the ability to use gathered evidence in guideline and algorithm development, and the ability to evaluate guidelines;
- Retrieve relevant published articles related to a research question and evaluate relevance of clinical research results in relation to a concrete low resource setting;
- Communicate research results to both professional and scientific communities in a written and oral way.
In addition, the participant will gain basic comprehension of:
- Pitfalls of implementation of research projects;
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and ethics in clinical research;
- Writing a research grant application including budget and identifying sources of funding for small-scale research projects.